Your favorite pastry dough which yields for one 9 inch pie, allowed to rest in refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- 1/3 Cup all purpose unbleached flour
- ¼ Cup granulated sugar
- ¼ Cup brown sugar
- ½ Cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, both sugars, oats, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Process in a food processor. When dry ingredients are fully mixed add cold cubed butter. Pulse until mixed to a grainy
crumbly consistency. Pour ingredients in medium size bowl. Squeeze and crumble mixture in your fingers forming pea size nuggets. Cover and refrigerate.
- 1 ¼ Cup Fresh Strawberries, cleaned and cut
- 1 1/3 Cup Rhubarb, sliced in ½ inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 Tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ salt
- Combine sugar, tapioca, salt, and zest.
- Combine rhubarb and strawberries. Sprinkle sugar mixture over fruit.
- Set aside to rest.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Galette may be baked on a pizza stone.
- Roll out pastry on a floured board. Cut into an 11 inch diameter circle. Edge may be wavy or uneven.
- Transfer dough circle onto a 12 inch square of parchment paper.
- Spoon fruit to the middle of the pastry round – leaving a few inches on the edges.
- Spoon the streusal onto the middle of the fruit in a small circle.
- Fold pastry dough over the edge into a pleated pattern – pinching dough if necessary to keep it together.
- Brush the pastry dough lightly with a beaten egg. Sprinkle dough with sugar if desired.
- Using a pizza peel, place on the stone.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. Then turn the oven down to 375. Bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes.
- Allow to rest for an hour.
- Serve with whip cream or your favorite vanilla bean ice cream.