- 1¼ Cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1¼ Cup confectioner’s sugar (powdered)
- Zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ coarsely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3 ½ Cups allpurpose unbleached flour
- 1/3 Cup confectioner’s sugar, to dust
- Line two baking sheets with parchement paper. Preheat the oven to 325° F.
- In a mixer, beat the butter and sugar until pale and smooth.
- Stir in the rind and vanilla. Add the egg gradually.
- In a separate bowl combine flour and ground ginger. Mix flour slowly into butter, sugar, lemon rind mixture. Add final addition of crystallized giner. Combine until soft and sticky.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll out each portion 1/8 inch thick between two sheets of well-floured waxed paper, working quickly and lightly. Place on the baking sheets with the paper attached.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Slide the pastry off the sheets onto a work surface. Remove the top piece of parchment and cut the dough with a 3.5” fluted cookie-cutter (flour it first). Place each cookie on the parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- 3/4 Cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 ½ Cups fresh strawberries
- For cream filling – pour the cream, vanilla and 3 Tablespoons of powdered sugar into a mixing bowl. Whip into soft peaks. Spoon into a pastry bag fitted with a star nozzle.
- Assemble shortbread shortcakes by laying one cookie on the plate. Pipe the base cookie with whip cream. Top with strawberries. Repeat. Finish the top cookie with a small amount of whip cream and a small strawberry. Make the edge of the cookie an empty canvas. Garnish
by dusting with powdered sugar.